NAEE will soon be launching an exciting new fund to enable schools to visit outdoor environmental education centres (initially Birmingham only). Watch this space!
The early childhood years are crucial for learning and development. That should involve a great deal of outdoor physical activity and playtime, but that’s not always the case. Nearly half of 3 to 5 year olds are not taken outdoors by a parent or caregiver every day, according to research presented in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine this week. “There’s a big room for improvement in how parents prioritize their time and what they’re doing in the time they’re spending with their pre-school children,” said lead study author Dr. Pooja Tandon of Seattle Children’s Research Institute.
Read the full post at : http://www.childrenandnature.org/news/detail/no_outdoor_play_for_many_kids/
Posted by : Henricus Peters
- Nearly half of preschool children not taken outside to play by parents on a daily basis: Study (eurekalert.org)
- Nearly half of preschoolers lack 1 parent-supervised playtime per day (eurekalert.org)
- Nearly half of preschoolers lack one parent-supervised playtime per day (sciencedaily.com)
- Less Outdoor Playtime for Preschool Girls (parenting.blogs.nytimes.com)
- You’re probably not taking your kids to the park enough, new study says (theglobeandmail.com)
- No Outdoor Play for Many Kids – MedPage Today (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)